Monday, August 1, 2011

My Visit to God's Own Country


Sanya Bhalla, MRIS, Sec-21C
During my summer vacation I visited Kerala, a unique web of countless lagoons, lakes, canals and deltas of forty four rivers. I visited Kerala with my friends and family .We were twenty four people in all. I enjoyed every bit of it and came back rejuvenated.

Kerala is located on the Malabar Coast. We reached Munnar Airport at around 10.30 in the morning and then stayed at a Tea Garden Estate. It was sheer poetry imbibed with beauty and was like heaven visible to human eyes. The view of the tea gardens was simply mesmerizing. I could smell the freshness in the air. All around our cottages there were beautiful and lush green tea gardens and spices like cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms were also grown .

Next morning we visited a tea factory. I was amazed to see the process of making tea. My mother and her friends bought tea and spices. I clicked many pictures. It is indeed God’ s own country. On day three early in the morning we left for Kumarakom. It is a popular tourist destination located near the city of Kottayam. It is famous for its backwaters. It is set in the backdrop of theVembanad Lake in the state.

On reaching Kumarakom we checked into Taj Kumarakom.My room was next to the swimming pool. I thoroughly enjoyed myself with my friends.We played many water games in the pool like volley ball, throw ball.

On day four we took a day cruise in a houseboat. It was indeed a breathtakingly beautiful experience.The pulsating palms, the shoals of fish, waves of water, cool breeze all these together made my trip very exciting. My father caught fish and prawns and then we got them cooked and enjoyed the tasty dish. The houseboat was very comfortable and it made our vacation a dream holiday . In the evening we came back to our hotel and witnessed enthralling performances by the classical dancers of Kerala. The natural backdrop made the performances more beautiful, the stage was set by the side of the lake, it was like a fairy tale.

On day five we left Kumarakom for Kovalam by bus. Kovalam is a suburb and a beach town on the Arabian Sea in Thiruvanathapuram.We stayed at Leela in Kovalam. I enjoyed every bit of my stay in Kovalam. We played beach volleyball and made sand castles. I enjoyed the scenic beauty of the beaches. Kovalam has three crescent shaped beaches separated by rocky outcroppings.

Then it was time for us to pack our bags. We did not want to come back but every good thing has to come to an end, so we took a flight from Kochi to New Delhi and reached Delhi at around 12 o’clock. I thanked my parents for organizing such a wonderful trip. Thinking about of Kerala reminds me of beautiful lines by Keats – “A thing of beauty is a joy forever”. It’ s loveliness increases, it will never pass into nothingness.. ”

No comments:

Post a Comment